Thanks to my sister Michelle McIlroy for designing the logo!

Welcome!

Ever since I was a child, I have been very interested in nature and the environment. I have a B.S. degree in wildlife biology, and have worked as a zookeeper, wildlife biologist, and ecologist. I am conducting a brief survey of world leaders, government officials, religious leaders, corporate CEOs, environmental groups, wildlife experts, and others regarding nature and the environment. I am also very interested in religious views, customs, and beliefs from around the world, and the interactions between religion, culture, society, and the environment. This is something I am doing out of personal interest, and is not connected to any group or organization. I have been working on this project since the summer of 2006, and hope to eventually turn it into a book and/or documentary. I am hoping to make this into a global project, with responses from all segments of society. Feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions or comments. If you have not already done so, I hope that you will consider taking part in my project, and please spread the word to anyone you think might be interested! Thanks for stopping by!

TAKE THE SURVEY ONLINE HERE http://tinyurl.com/nx4ng7

June 01, 2008

Mandy Heales

Project Officer - Environmental Protection Agency (Queensland Australia)

Today’s Date: 9 April 2008

1. What interaction with an animal and/or nature in your life has had the biggest impact on you?

As a 15 year old (1986) on a year long trip around Australia with my family we took part in a guided walk at Kakadu National Park. While I don’t remember many specifics now as it was so long ago, I remember that we had to write a short poem about something around us. I still carry the poem I wrote around in my wallet to this day. This experience inspired me so much I ended up becoming a ranger and have worked in this field ever since.

2. Did you have a favorite place in the great outdoors during your childhood?

We would go camping to a small town called 1770 (on the Queensland coast) every year. We would camp on the waters edge and as kids would beachcomb all day long. It is unfortunately much more developed now.

Now? The Amity and Moreton Banks in Moreton Bay (adjacent to Brisbane – capital of Queensland)

3. As a former zookeeper, I would love to know what your favorite animal is and why?

Loggerhead turtle. I have been fortunate enough to work with these animals and have had experiences with them from hatchlings through to adults. I am in awe of their resilience in the face of what we humans throw at them and into their oceans.

4. What do you think is the greatest environmental challenge facing us now, and what do you think will be the greatest challenge in the future?

Greatest environmental challenge is communicating with people in a way that will inspire them to want to improve how they interact with and and impact on the earth.

Greatest environmental challenge in the future will probably be managing the effects of climate change.

5. If you could give one piece of advice regarding the environment and our natural resources, what would it be?

We only have one earth – look after it and we look after each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment