1. What interaction with an animal and/or nature in your life has had the biggest impact on you?
In 5th grade I spent a week taking horseback riding lessons through
2. Did you have a favorite place in the great outdoors during your childhood?
Several - I grew up in the
Now? The Olympic
3. As a former zookeeper, I would love to know what your favorite animal is and why?
Horses (see above) and apes and monkeys (anthropologist, what can I say?) Sea mammals of all sorts (see above) and I am a serious cat person with tons of love left over for dogs.
4. What do you think is the greatest environmental challenge facing us now, and what do you think will be the greatest challenge in the future?
The threat of pollutants to lands, wetlands and salt and freshwater. I work with traditional salmon fishers and I actually cry thinking about the loss of marine resources. Probably global warming is on that same list.
5. If you could give one piece of advice regarding the environment and our natural resources, what would it be?
Love it or give it back to indigenous people. And by that I mean quit thinking and acting in the short term - imagine what you want your descendents to see 100 or 1,000 years from now.