1. What interaction with an animal and/or nature in your life has had the biggest impact on you?
I live on a small farm with (currently) a dog, cat, 7 chickens, 5 goats, 2 sheep and a donkey. We also have a 3 acre pond with lots of pond animals and birds and a few acres of woods that connect with several hundred acres of more woods, filled with the typical
2. Did you have a favorite place in the great outdoors during your childhood?
No. I grew up in suburbia and had no interest in the outdoors really.
Now? I love being in my woods. I take a hike there most mornings.
3. As a former zookeeper, I would love to know what your favorite animal is and why?
I've had dogs almost my whole life, but for a few months here and there. I enjoy their intelligence and camaraderie. I also like how they are smarter than me with regards to certain things, and that keeps me humble. I also really appreciate my donkey, but I don't know that he is my "favorite."
4. What do you think is the greatest environmental challenge facing us now, and what do you think will be the greatest challenge in the future?
For all the talk about global climate change, to me the massive extinction rates are far more scary for they have great ramifications for the environment and how niches of species can die off, etc.
5. If you could give one piece of advice regarding the environment and our natural resources, what would it be?
Think what your grandchildren's world is going to be like if we continue to consume like we are.