Thanks to my sister Michelle McIlroy for designing the logo!

Welcome!

Ever since I was a child, I have been very interested in nature and the environment. I have a B.S. degree in wildlife biology, and have worked as a zookeeper, wildlife biologist, and ecologist. I am conducting a brief survey of world leaders, government officials, religious leaders, corporate CEOs, environmental groups, wildlife experts, and others regarding nature and the environment. I am also very interested in religious views, customs, and beliefs from around the world, and the interactions between religion, culture, society, and the environment. This is something I am doing out of personal interest, and is not connected to any group or organization. I have been working on this project since the summer of 2006, and hope to eventually turn it into a book and/or documentary. I am hoping to make this into a global project, with responses from all segments of society. Feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions or comments. If you have not already done so, I hope that you will consider taking part in my project, and please spread the word to anyone you think might be interested! Thanks for stopping by!

TAKE THE SURVEY ONLINE HERE http://tinyurl.com/nx4ng7

January 12, 2009

Martha Smith

The Hayden Law Firm, PLLC

Today’s Date: 29 November 2008

1. What interaction with an animal and/or nature in your life has had the biggest impact on you?

Watching birds. Birds. Once, my parents and I stopped in a store on the way to my grandparents house. There was a small bird trapped in the store. I caught it and took it outside and let it go. I don't know what kind it was, but I will never forget the feel of that tiny body in my hands. My grandmother had a chimney that swifts roosted in. I loved to watch them as they swooped and dived in the evenings settling down for the night. I've always loved the songs of birds. I love animals, but birds have always been special.

2. Did you have a favorite place in the great outdoors during your childhood?

My grandmother's farm in Nutbush, Tennessee. A creek across the street from my house when I was in grade school.

Now? My street. Shelby Farms Park. Middle Tennessee

3. As a former zookeeper, I would love to know what your favorite animal is and why?

This is difficult. I love all animals. I love birds, but I also love mammals, big and small. Big cats, elephants, tigers, rhinos. I love bears, Grizzlies and Polar. Polar bears are in great danger right now and it is hard to say what should be done.

4. What do you think is the greatest environmental challenge facing us now, and what do you think will be the greatest challenge in the future?

Man has made a mess of this world. We have one and only one environmental challenge facing us and that is that mankind should realize that we are not the only species on this planet. All of the greed, malice, hate, war, etc., needs to be put aside. Until we can live together as a family, there is nothing that can be done about anything else. The rest will be but a Band-Aid.

5. If you could give one piece of advice regarding the environment and our natural resources, what would it be?

I am a Christian. I believe that the Bible is the inerrant, inspired Word of God. God made us stewards of this earth. Stewards are to care for, keep and then to turn over to the Master the charge given to them. Mankind will be judged for the poor (to put it mildly) job he has done to God's world. This is what I would say to the world. We need to use what we have - let me explain. In my city, there are blocks upon blocks upon blocks of buildings that are empty, empty lots where buildings were and have been torn down. Yet, treed lots are constantly being cleared for new structures that aren't needed. The city is becoming dead from the inside and the only thing growing is the outside. Now, it isn't totally that way. But, there is so much wasted space. I don't travel much, but I tend to think there are many cities just like this. There is too much waste. The U.S. economy is in a shambles. Recently, I learned something, and I don't recall how or where I learned it. But, it seems that at some point in time, a decision was made by OUR GOVERNMENT that we were to be a nation of consumers. Well, they managed to pull this off, if this is true. And, if it is true, we need to make a conscious decision to reverse it.

No comments:

Post a Comment