Thanks to my sister Michelle McIlroy for designing the logo!

Welcome!

Ever since I was a child, I have been very interested in nature and the environment. I have a B.S. degree in wildlife biology, and have worked as a zookeeper, wildlife biologist, and ecologist. I am conducting a brief survey of world leaders, government officials, religious leaders, corporate CEOs, environmental groups, wildlife experts, and others regarding nature and the environment. I am also very interested in religious views, customs, and beliefs from around the world, and the interactions between religion, culture, society, and the environment. This is something I am doing out of personal interest, and is not connected to any group or organization. I have been working on this project since the summer of 2006, and hope to eventually turn it into a book and/or documentary. I am hoping to make this into a global project, with responses from all segments of society. Feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions or comments. If you have not already done so, I hope that you will consider taking part in my project, and please spread the word to anyone you think might be interested! Thanks for stopping by!

TAKE THE SURVEY ONLINE HERE http://tinyurl.com/nx4ng7

November 11, 2009

Carol Coogan

Writer/Artist
(http://members.upstateartistsguild.org/CarolCoogan)

Jul 22, 2009

1. What interaction with an animal and/or nature in your life has had the biggest impact on you?

Presently, the daily experience of seeing, hearing or taking time to notice the natural world makes me feel connected to something larger, mysterious, miraculous and inspiring. I noticed things in nature and studied everything about it from an early age. Finding an orphaned baby raccoon while in art school in Pittsburgh, and successfully raising and returning it to it's natural lifestyle had a big impact on me. It made me want to be a person who helps and heals and protects our Earth.

2. Did you have a favorite place in the great outdoors during your childhood? How about now??

In my childhood, I lived in the city, but used to go to a part of the year where there were lilac trees, gooseberry bushes and lilies of the valley, and listen and watch for birds, or go behind the garage where I could pretend I was living in the woods or a cave. Now I greatly enjoy anywhere where that is a natural setting, but I am partial to areas where there is water: rivers, lakes, streams, ponds, waterfalls, the ocean. I love the sound of water, and the wildlife it attracts.

3. As a former zookeeper, I would love to know what your favorite animal is, and why?

Cats are fascinating to me. Smart. Beautiful. They are like living art... the way they move. Distinct personalities. They can be very affectionate if domesticated, yet are still wild. The raven, but that is more because of its symbolism... a totem animal thing...

4. What do you think is the greatest environmental challenge facing us now, and what do you think will be the greatest challenge in the future?

We are destroying the earth. There is no long-term larger view when corporations are considering their immediate profit margins. We consume and consume and deplete and deplete, and its such a waste. Changing weather patterns and fluctuations in temperature will be our greatest challenge, and water. Clean, pure drinking water will be in short supply, and there will be great problems.

5. If you could give everyone one piece of advice regarding the environment and our natural resources, what would it be?

Stop consuming so much, live a simpler life, educate yourself about green energy options and recycling and do whatever you can to leave a lighter carbon footprint. Eat more natural less processed foods. Become an activist.

No comments:

Post a Comment