Thanks to my sister Michelle McIlroy for designing the logo!

Welcome!

Ever since I was a child, I have been very interested in nature and the environment. I have a B.S. degree in wildlife biology, and have worked as a zookeeper, wildlife biologist, and ecologist. I am conducting a brief survey of world leaders, government officials, religious leaders, corporate CEOs, environmental groups, wildlife experts, and others regarding nature and the environment. I am also very interested in religious views, customs, and beliefs from around the world, and the interactions between religion, culture, society, and the environment. This is something I am doing out of personal interest, and is not connected to any group or organization. I have been working on this project since the summer of 2006, and hope to eventually turn it into a book and/or documentary. I am hoping to make this into a global project, with responses from all segments of society. Feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions or comments. If you have not already done so, I hope that you will consider taking part in my project, and please spread the word to anyone you think might be interested! Thanks for stopping by!

TAKE THE SURVEY ONLINE HERE http://tinyurl.com/nx4ng7

January 19, 2008

Dr. Salah Idin Kuftaro

General Director - Sheikh Ahmad Kuftaro Islamic Foundation (www.abunour.net)

Today’s Date: 17 January 2008

1. What interaction with an animal and/or nature in your life has had the biggest impact on you?

My late father Sheikh Ahmad Kuftaro the grand mufti was living in the countryside of Damascus in a big farm. He used to take care of a dog and I have never seen a creature through all my life more faithful than the dog. My father used to plant some young trees and to take care of about 70 beehives after putting on special dress for bees. He sees in the daily activity of the bees a great evidence of the existence of God. His eyes glared with happiness when he watched the bees flying to blossoms and flowers and sipping the nectar of honey which is mentioned in the holy Quran by the words:" and the lord taught the bee to build its cells in hills, on trees, and in (men's) habitations; then to eat of all the produce(of the earth), and find with skill the spacious paths of its lord: there issues from within their bodies a drink of varying colors, wherein is healing for men: verily in this is a sign for those who give thought".

2. Did you have a favorite place in the great outdoors during your childhood?

I loved dwelling in the countryside after I had been grown up in my father's house in the countryside of Damascus, so today I possess a farm in the countryside of Damascus with swimming pool and fruit trees. In summer holidays, I receive my guest, American and European delegations in my farm to enhance acquaintance and dialogue with the west together with my wife and three children. Since my childhood, I loved dwelling in the countryside far away from the city noise and environmental pollution.

3. As a former zookeeper, I would love to know what your favorite animal is and why?

The favorite animal: It is the horse, the symbol of glittering and extreme intelligence particularly the genuine Arab horse, also the dog and as you know its faithfulness is beyond limits. The holy Quran mentioned some of these animals such as the horse, the dog, the ants and the bees. Animal in general do no harm to any other creature even if it were wild when it has a full stomach specially after it devours its prey. This merit gives it bride. The dilemma nowadays is that some people are worse than animals. They kill their brothers in humanity and quit their morals and principles. They may fire a rocket or missile killing thousands of their human brothers as well as to occupation and the absence of justice. What kind of civilization man has reached in the 21st century? That is why we love and respect animal.

4. What do you think is the greatest environmental challenge facing us now, and what do you think will be the greatest challenge in the future?

No answer given

5. If you could give one piece of advice regarding the environment and our natural resources, what would it be?

No answer given

No comments:

Post a Comment