Thanks to my sister Michelle McIlroy for designing the logo!

Welcome!

Ever since I was a child, I have been very interested in nature and the environment. I have a B.S. degree in wildlife biology, and have worked as a zookeeper, wildlife biologist, and ecologist. I am conducting a brief survey of world leaders, government officials, religious leaders, corporate CEOs, environmental groups, wildlife experts, and others regarding nature and the environment. I am also very interested in religious views, customs, and beliefs from around the world, and the interactions between religion, culture, society, and the environment. This is something I am doing out of personal interest, and is not connected to any group or organization. I have been working on this project since the summer of 2006, and hope to eventually turn it into a book and/or documentary. I am hoping to make this into a global project, with responses from all segments of society. Feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions or comments. If you have not already done so, I hope that you will consider taking part in my project, and please spread the word to anyone you think might be interested! Thanks for stopping by!

TAKE THE SURVEY ONLINE HERE http://tinyurl.com/nx4ng7

December 27, 2007

Steve Lawson

National Coordinator – First Nations Environmental Network

Today’s Date: 1 December 2007

1. What interaction with an animal and/or nature in your life has had the biggest impact on you?

A wolf on an island on the west coast came to me and walked with me all day and would meet me whenever I visited the island. Sometimes it would bring other wolves who would howl, one of two might join us and lay down at my feet. They were wild wolves and wanted to teach me things. They did this until they were killed by a “conservation officer” not wanting human and animal encounters.

2. Did you have a favorite place in the great outdoors during your childhood?

Getting away to the mountains every spare moment I had. I would walk up with skis, overnight at an old lodge, then ski all weekend – Fri. nights and weekends and holidays and every chance I got. It wasn’t commercial like it is now and very few people would walk up like I did.

Now? Anywhere along the wild open coast of North America. Anyplace that isn’t spoiled by logging, mining, or pulp mills. Islands, inlets, river valleys with bears, wolves, eagles, cougar, elk, and all the wildlife – especially wild salmon rivers – i.e. in Clayoquot Sound & on Van. Island’s west coast.

3. As a former zookeeper, I would love to know what your favorite animal is and why?

It’s hard to pick a favorite animal. The killer whale is one of the most beautiful, intelligent creatures I have come across – also I pick them because they are greatly in harm and danger by pollution & loss of food and natural habitat that is clean and pure.

4. What do you think is the greatest environmental challenge facing us now, and what do you think will be the greatest challenge in the future?

Now: altering the human mindset away from fear and greed to simply caring for life in all its forms.
Future: If we dealt with the challenge above, I think our future would be fine. If humans would not base their ethics on fear and greed, perhaps they would see the greatest value of all – diversity and beauty of life around us.


5. If you could give one piece of advice regarding the environment and our natural resources, what would it be?

Make decisions as though we lived on the most beautiful and diverse planet in the known universe.


Received via postal mail

No comments:

Post a Comment