Thanks to my sister Michelle McIlroy for designing the logo!

Welcome!

Ever since I was a child, I have been very interested in nature and the environment. I have a B.S. degree in wildlife biology, and have worked as a zookeeper, wildlife biologist, and ecologist. I am conducting a brief survey of world leaders, government officials, religious leaders, corporate CEOs, environmental groups, wildlife experts, and others regarding nature and the environment. I am also very interested in religious views, customs, and beliefs from around the world, and the interactions between religion, culture, society, and the environment. This is something I am doing out of personal interest, and is not connected to any group or organization. I have been working on this project since the summer of 2006, and hope to eventually turn it into a book and/or documentary. I am hoping to make this into a global project, with responses from all segments of society. Feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions or comments. If you have not already done so, I hope that you will consider taking part in my project, and please spread the word to anyone you think might be interested! Thanks for stopping by!

TAKE THE SURVEY ONLINE HERE http://tinyurl.com/nx4ng7

September 18, 2010

Kathleen

Private Citizen

July 23, 2009

1. What interaction with an animal and/or nature in your life has had the biggest impact on you?

Well I spent a year working in Australia studying dolphins and humpback whales, and another year in Hawaii studying humpback whales, and also time in Florida conducting research on sea turtles and bottlenose dolphins. All of that has had an enormous impact on me and has only furthered my love of the ocean and all of the things in it. There is so much we don't know and so much we have to learn, and I fear that we are going to destroy our oceans before we get a chance to see what other secrets they hold. Marine animals have fascinated me my entire life, and getting to study them in their natural habitat has been the best experience of my life. I wish everyone could see what I have seen, it provides you with so much wonder and curiosity and so much amazement at life.

2. Did you have a favorite place in the great outdoors during your childhood? How about now??

I just liked being outside as a kid...and now, I would say my favorite place is anywhere on an ocean! Anywhere where there is marine life.

3. As a former zookeeper, I would love to know what your favorite animal is, and why?

My favorite...I can't really pick one..that is tough. I love marine mammals and sea turtles, but if I had to pick, I guess I would say a bottlenose dolphin. Their behavior and their intelligence fascinates me. I would give anything to peek into their brains and see what is going on between them and what they say to each other. I always say if was reincarnated I would love to come back as a dolphin...I would give anything to know what it feels like to be able to move through the water like they do, to see things they way they can, with sonar.

4. What do you think is the greatest environmental challenge facing us now, and what do you think will be the greatest challenge in the future?

I think the greatest challenge facing us now is the same one that will continue to plague future generations...global warming and pollution and destruction of the environment. The world just seems to be on this scary path to obliteration...the environment around us is changing at such a rapid rate, and it scares me that so few people worldwide seem to care.


5. If you could give everyone one piece of advice regarding the environment and our natural resources, what would it be?

Wow...I don't know. Just get out there and experience nature! Obviously you can't appreciate something unless you have experienced it, and people won't appreciate the oceans until they have looked into a whale's eye or come face to face with a turtle..or even just taken a snorkel trip and seen the beauty the ocean holds. Get out into the woods and look around, be still and listen to what is under the surface. Just get out there, go off the beaten path, and see all of the amazing things the world has to offer, that we need to take care of. I can't wait to continue my travels!

No comments:

Post a Comment