Thanks to my sister Michelle McIlroy for designing the logo!

Welcome!

Ever since I was a child, I have been very interested in nature and the environment. I have a B.S. degree in wildlife biology, and have worked as a zookeeper, wildlife biologist, and ecologist. I am conducting a brief survey of world leaders, government officials, religious leaders, corporate CEOs, environmental groups, wildlife experts, and others regarding nature and the environment. I am also very interested in religious views, customs, and beliefs from around the world, and the interactions between religion, culture, society, and the environment. This is something I am doing out of personal interest, and is not connected to any group or organization. I have been working on this project since the summer of 2006, and hope to eventually turn it into a book and/or documentary. I am hoping to make this into a global project, with responses from all segments of society. Feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions or comments. If you have not already done so, I hope that you will consider taking part in my project, and please spread the word to anyone you think might be interested! Thanks for stopping by!

TAKE THE SURVEY ONLINE HERE http://tinyurl.com/nx4ng7

January 14, 2009

doccat5

Retired/Federal Worker

Today's Date: 13 January 2009

1. What interaction with an animal and/or nature in your life has had the biggest impact on you?

DH and I have use organic growing methods on fruit/nut trees and vegetables for over 20 years. Until recently we've had little problem with "pests". However, this last season both deer and squirrels were a bit of a problem. There has been some major development in the surrounding area and much of their habitat has been disturbed. I forsee having to install a deer fence at least if we are going to have a decent vegetable garden. So far using scents and bitter tasting sprays have keep the damage to a minimum.

2. Did you have a favorite place in the great outdoors during your childhood?

I grew up in Nebraska. I think my cousin's 1000 acre dairy farm was one of my favorite places to go. I use to spend at least a month in the summer there with my other cousins, just roaming about and exploring the area. We would go pheasant and squirrel hunting in the cottonwoods he had planted in the fall. Lots of good memories there.

Now? Normally my own yard. But we do make an annual trip to the Blue Ridge to see the fall colors.

3. As a former zookeeper, I would love to know what your favorite animal is, and why?

Siberian Tigers...I saw one at the zone in Minneapolis when I was in college. Huge male, he was so beautiful and so impressive.

4. What do you think is the greatest environmental challenge facing us now, and what do you think will be the greatest challenge in the future?

Sensible use of our available resources, cleaning up the messes we've made to our water supplies, educating ourselves on how each one of us impacts our environment. I see our biggest challenge as trying to stay on track by encouraging our best and brightest to come up with best use of alternative resources, making the affordable for everyone.

5. If you could give everyone one piece of advice regarding the environment and our natural resources, what would it be?

Educate yourself, be you're own advocate and take responsibility for understanding how to protect yourself and others from making bad decisions.
Don't be afraid to "rock" the bureaucratic boat! Organize your friends and neighbor and fight back on bad policy and use of dangerous insecticides, pesticides in your area.

No comments:

Post a Comment