Thanks to my sister Michelle McIlroy for designing the logo!

Welcome!

Ever since I was a child, I have been very interested in nature and the environment. I have a B.S. degree in wildlife biology, and have worked as a zookeeper, wildlife biologist, and ecologist. I am conducting a brief survey of world leaders, government officials, religious leaders, corporate CEOs, environmental groups, wildlife experts, and others regarding nature and the environment. I am also very interested in religious views, customs, and beliefs from around the world, and the interactions between religion, culture, society, and the environment. This is something I am doing out of personal interest, and is not connected to any group or organization. I have been working on this project since the summer of 2006, and hope to eventually turn it into a book and/or documentary. I am hoping to make this into a global project, with responses from all segments of society. Feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions or comments. If you have not already done so, I hope that you will consider taking part in my project, and please spread the word to anyone you think might be interested! Thanks for stopping by!

TAKE THE SURVEY ONLINE HERE http://tinyurl.com/nx4ng7

May 03, 2008

Satya Prakash Mehra

Senior Project Officer - WWF-India

Today’s Date: 8 April 2008

1. What interaction with an animal and/or nature in your life has had the biggest impact on you?

Decline in population of very common species -House Crows (Corvus splendens) in my residence area (Ganeshnagar, Udaipur, rajasthan, India). (There is rituals among Indians when they call crows to eat food as we feel that our ancestors come in this form and give blessings of well being.) But in 1980s when we use to call them I could not found them in nearby localities. This caused my concern towards adopting career in the field of wildlife when I will enter my graduation.

2. Did you have a favorite place in the great outdoors during your childhood?

Natural places (especially which is not commonly visited) in the world's oldest hill ranges – Aravallis - which surround my childhood place Udaipur.

Now? Again the deep forest patches of aravallis especially Mt Abu (Sirohi, Rajasthan, India) and Sitamata Forests (southern parts of Rajasthan distributed in Udaipur, Chittorgarh & Pratapgarh districts)

3. As a former zookeeper, I would love to know what your favorite animal is and why?

Very hard to say, but still I will love to state the name of our endemic bird species Green Munia or Green Avadavat (Amandava formosa).

4. What do you think is the greatest environmental challenge facing us now, and what do you think will be the greatest challenge in the future?

In my views, it is loss of forests (habitat of wild animals) all over the world is the greatest challenge which we are facing now. Increase in Carbon dioxide level and resulting
Climatic change is the greatest challenge of future.

5. If you could give one piece of advice regarding the environment and our natural resources, what would it be?

Individual effort could contribute lot to check the further environment deterioration at every step of our normal schedule works.

No comments:

Post a Comment