Thanks to my sister Michelle McIlroy for designing the logo!

Welcome!

Ever since I was a child, I have been very interested in nature and the environment. I have a B.S. degree in wildlife biology, and have worked as a zookeeper, wildlife biologist, and ecologist. I am conducting a brief survey of world leaders, government officials, religious leaders, corporate CEOs, environmental groups, wildlife experts, and others regarding nature and the environment. I am also very interested in religious views, customs, and beliefs from around the world, and the interactions between religion, culture, society, and the environment. This is something I am doing out of personal interest, and is not connected to any group or organization. I have been working on this project since the summer of 2006, and hope to eventually turn it into a book and/or documentary. I am hoping to make this into a global project, with responses from all segments of society. Feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions or comments. If you have not already done so, I hope that you will consider taking part in my project, and please spread the word to anyone you think might be interested! Thanks for stopping by!

TAKE THE SURVEY ONLINE HERE http://tinyurl.com/nx4ng7

February 04, 2007

Anonymous

student

Today’s Date: February 4, 2007

1. What interaction with an animal and/or nature in your life has had the biggest impact on you?

When I was a child every year at Christmas time my whole family would go to land that my Grandparents owned to cut the smaller pines from the woods to sell for Christmas trees. My Grandparents were farmers, and selling Christmas trees was how they paid for Christmas. The woods had a newer section were there were trees my Grandparents had planted themselves, way back when. Those original plantings had grown and were reproducing naturally in the area by the time I came around, and those new young trees were the ones we would walk back in and thin, and drag out on a trailer behind a snow mobile until we made it back up to the road where the cars were waiting. There was not even a drive into the property back then. The wooded property was not on the same side of town as their house, and so I didn't get to go there very often, but I always looked forward to it. There was back farther a stand of very old Scotch Pines in those woods, and I loved to walk under those tall pines in the quiet of the woods. I felt very connected to the trees, and sheltered under their boughs, it was magical. Since then I have always loved the woods, (and especially love old stands of Scotch Pines), and I hope someday I will find a special wooded place of my own to be care taker of. It makes me sad that the person who purchased that land from my Grandmother has now built a housing development in those very special old woods. I will make sure that when I do find my land that the woods will be protected even after I leave by donating it to a charity that will preserve it when I am gone. I have a deep appreciation for the beauty of the Earth on which we were born, and for our responsibility as it's care takers that comes partly from my Grandparents, partly from the magic of those trees, and partly from seeing those beautiful woods developed.

2. Did you have a favorite place in the great outdoors during your childhood?

I lived two houses down from my Grandparents farm, and I was down there as much as I was at home (maybe more really). I loved to play in my Grandma's yard, and that was definitely my favorite place as a child.

Now? I enjoy hiking through the many beautiful wooded parks in my state. It would be too hard to pick a favorite, I love finding new special places as often as I can to walk through.

3. As a former zookeeper, I would love to know what your favorite animal is, and why?

I love all animals, and I get a lot of pleasure from feeding my local birds, chipmunks and squirrels especially. My favorite animal however would have to be my cat. He is an orange male with short hair and tiger stripes and he is a great companion. He enjoys watching my feeders too, but with different intent.

4. What do you think is the greatest environmental challenge facing us now, and what do you think will be the greatest challenge in the future?

Without question global climate change, and I believe it will continue to be into the future for at least my life time. How the world responds to the call to reduce emissions, deals with managing our limited resources, and hopefully finds sustainable ways for such an expanded population to live on the only planet we have is certain to be the greatest challenge our species has ever faced.

5. If you could give everyone one piece of advice regarding the environment and our natural resources, what would it be?

Taking care of our Gaia is taking care of ourselves.

If we truly wish to consider ourselves the most intelligent species on the planet and masters of the land, then we must accept the responsibilities that come with that. It is possible to live comfortably and do so in a sustainable way if we will simply make the decision to do so. Please do things such as:

Buy an electric hybrid vehicle

Buy your energy from companies that generate emission free power such as hydro or wind

Or put in a grid tied system of your own

When building or remodeling support green development practices and products

Buy foods and goods produced locally over those that were shipped from far away when possible

Buy foods and goods made of recycled or sustainable materials over those that were not

Buy products that were produced by a company that cares about the environment and does not pollute

(Remember that your purchases do matter!)

Talk to your work place about ways it can be made more efficient and green minded

Write to your representatives and let them know that these are matters that you expect them to act upon

If you cannot do the all above you can still make good choices, and keep your life style, simply:

Drive the most fuel efficient car you can afford

Walk or bike more for local trips

Turn down your thermostat by a few degrees in winter and up a few degrees in summer

Buy the most energy efficient appliances you possibly can

Make your home as well insulated and energy efficient as possible

Use compact florescent bulbs

Place things on a remote and/or that constantly use power even when off on a switch or power strip and turn them off when not in use

No comments:

Post a Comment