Thanks to my sister Michelle McIlroy for designing the logo!

Welcome!

Ever since I was a child, I have been very interested in nature and the environment. I have a B.S. degree in wildlife biology, and have worked as a zookeeper, wildlife biologist, and ecologist. I am conducting a brief survey of world leaders, government officials, religious leaders, corporate CEOs, environmental groups, wildlife experts, and others regarding nature and the environment. I am also very interested in religious views, customs, and beliefs from around the world, and the interactions between religion, culture, society, and the environment. This is something I am doing out of personal interest, and is not connected to any group or organization. I have been working on this project since the summer of 2006, and hope to eventually turn it into a book and/or documentary. I am hoping to make this into a global project, with responses from all segments of society. Feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions or comments. If you have not already done so, I hope that you will consider taking part in my project, and please spread the word to anyone you think might be interested! Thanks for stopping by!

TAKE THE SURVEY ONLINE HERE http://tinyurl.com/nx4ng7

July 15, 2009

Lynne Flannery

Audubon Center for Birds of Prey

Today’s Date: 9 July 2009

1. What interaction with an animal and/or nature in your life has had the biggest impact on you?

As a child I just loved being outdoors. The time I spent exploring the wooded areas around my home in Upstate NY definitely developed my love of nature, curiosity and desire to protect it. I had several favorite spots under various trees I would regularly visit to have conversations with them. This may make me sound a bit crazy – but trees were some of my best childhood friends. I knew when I grew up I wanted to help protect all the beauty Mother Nature has to offer.

My work as a Peace Corps Volunteer in Honduras also had a tremendous impact on my career. Growing up and while in college I always envisioned myself as more of a researcher doing ground work in conservation; the hard science. My two years in Honduras drastically changed this. I realized how vital education is in the overall conservation puzzle, and that this was where I best fit in. I discovered the joy in helping others learn to care for, respect and admire nature. I knew this was something I had to be a part of.


2. Did you have a favorite place in the great outdoors during your childhood?

Besides the trees I mentioned visiting in the previous questions – I loved the Thousand Islands of NY. I spent time sailing, swimming and paddling in the waters of the St. Lawrence River and could never get enough!

Now? There are so many fantastic places in the world it is hard to pick one – but I will go with one that is close to home now – Everglades National Park. I have paddled many miles in this fantastic wilderness –especially the 10,000 Islands ; and always see or experience something new. I never tire of this area, and feel very privileged to live so close to an area of worldwide ecological importance. I also have no doubt that exploring it by paddle; being at the mercy of nature and needing to listen to her and respect her have heightened my affections for the Everglades.

3. As a former zookeeper, I would love to know what your favorite animal is and why?

I find this changes depending on where I live, what animals I am currently working with and what local animals can make an impact on education in my area. Currently it is the crested caracara; very interesting and intelligent raptor. They are outstanding education animals as many people in Florida have never seen them although they are native. I always love exposing folks to a new species, especially one they have right in their own state they can not only view in the wild but help protect. It brings the conservation message so much closer to home.

4. What do you think is the greatest environmental challenge facing us now, and what do you think will be the greatest challenge in the future?

Global warming and global warming. Population growth which ties in directly with global warming is another top challenge. As human beings if we do not learn how to live in a more sustainable manner on our planet – we will eventually kill her.


5. If you could give one piece of advice regarding the environment and our natural resources, what would it be?

Take a look at your daily life and begin to do the little things you can to help reduce waste and conserve natural resources. Don’t just recycle and think that is enough – reuse, grow a small organic garden, compost with worms, get involved with a local environmental group, buy products with less packaging. We all have to start to make changes if we want the health of our planet to improve. There are so many decisions you can make every day to help our planet. Don’t feel like you have to save the world, start right in your own home!

No comments:

Post a Comment