Thanks to my sister Michelle McIlroy for designing the logo!

Welcome!

Ever since I was a child, I have been very interested in nature and the environment. I have a B.S. degree in wildlife biology, and have worked as a zookeeper, wildlife biologist, and ecologist. I am conducting a brief survey of world leaders, government officials, religious leaders, corporate CEOs, environmental groups, wildlife experts, and others regarding nature and the environment. I am also very interested in religious views, customs, and beliefs from around the world, and the interactions between religion, culture, society, and the environment. This is something I am doing out of personal interest, and is not connected to any group or organization. I have been working on this project since the summer of 2006, and hope to eventually turn it into a book and/or documentary. I am hoping to make this into a global project, with responses from all segments of society. Feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions or comments. If you have not already done so, I hope that you will consider taking part in my project, and please spread the word to anyone you think might be interested! Thanks for stopping by!

TAKE THE SURVEY ONLINE HERE http://tinyurl.com/nx4ng7

October 11, 2008

Augustine Simiyu Nambafu

Alfa Network (Nairobi, Kenya)

Today’s Date: 16 July 2008

1. What interaction with an animal and/or nature in your life has had the biggest impact on you?

Chicken, I came from Western Kenya where chicken is the paramount animal in our village, when I was young I used to feed my father’s chicken, the impact it caused in my life was when my father chased away my mother because of eating the gizzard of the chicken, In our tradition chicken gizzard is special meal for men only, ladies, women are not allowed to eat gizzards since it shows disrespect for the husband or men in general, so whoever who disobey this rule she is sent away to her parents for a couple of months and when she comes back must bring something to appease her husband in order to be allowed back, so I missed my mother for three months, none was there to bath me and wash my clothes, it was hard for me.

2. Did you have a favorite place in the great outdoors during your childhood?

Yes of course the best place I used to go is Bhukungu stadium, when we had cock fighting, I could accompany my father to go and cheer our cock, the cock which won during the fight the owner became a hero of the village

Now? Going out in Arena for esukuti traditional dances.

3. As a former zookeeper, I would love to know what your favorite animal is and why?

Chicken, I am from western Kenya and hen is the respected animal we have. If I visit you and you don’t cook for me chicken, then life is not complete and my visit is not jovial to me. All Luhya’s from western Kenya can support me on this issue.

4. What do you think is the greatest environmental challenge facing us now, and what do you think will be the greatest challenge in the future?

Cutting of our forest, which as caused our land barren, we cut trees without planting, using them for firewood and endangering our future, Disease have increased and will increase. Our forefathers used trees for medical purpose but now there is other species of trees that we cannot find.

5. If you could give one piece of advice regarding the environment and our natural resources, what would it be?

Cut one tree plant three for our own good and our resources we are the ones benefiting from them so it is our responsibility to protect them

No comments:

Post a Comment