Thanks to my sister Michelle McIlroy for designing the logo!

Welcome!

Ever since I was a child, I have been very interested in nature and the environment. I have a B.S. degree in wildlife biology, and have worked as a zookeeper, wildlife biologist, and ecologist. I am conducting a brief survey of world leaders, government officials, religious leaders, corporate CEOs, environmental groups, wildlife experts, and others regarding nature and the environment. I am also very interested in religious views, customs, and beliefs from around the world, and the interactions between religion, culture, society, and the environment. This is something I am doing out of personal interest, and is not connected to any group or organization. I have been working on this project since the summer of 2006, and hope to eventually turn it into a book and/or documentary. I am hoping to make this into a global project, with responses from all segments of society. Feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions or comments. If you have not already done so, I hope that you will consider taking part in my project, and please spread the word to anyone you think might be interested! Thanks for stopping by!

TAKE THE SURVEY ONLINE HERE http://tinyurl.com/nx4ng7

May 03, 2008

Tim Gamble

Sustainable Future (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SustainableFuture)

Today’s Date: 7 April 2008

1. What interaction with an animal and/or nature in your life has had the biggest impact on you?

I grew up spending most of my free time in nature. My grandfather on my father's side owned a small family farm. Both he and my other grandfather would take me hunting and fishing often. I was in the Boy Scouts during my teen years and loved the hiking and camping. As an adult, my career has been in natural history museums. I've had the opportunity to participate in a number of biodiversity studies and wildlife conservation programs. I've always felt a great connection with nature and have always felt most comfortable - most at home - outdoors, surrounded by all of Creation.

2. Did you have a favorite place in the great outdoors during your childhood?

I was happy wherever I was, as long as it was outdoors. But if I had to name a favorite place it would probably be my grandfather's farm. It was a real old-fashioned family farm, not a modern factory farm. There was lots of open space, meadows I could play in, as well as wooded areas. I remember my grandfather teaching me the names of the trees, birds, snakes and the other living things that abounded on his land. I also worked on many of my Scouting merit badges on his farm. I earned most of the nature oriented badges - forestry, nature, bird study, animal science, botany, environmental science, insect life...

Now? I am still happiest when I am outdoors, no matter where I happen to be. I most love the Southern Appalachian Mountains.

3. As a former zookeeper, I would love to know what your favorite animal is and why?

Wow, that is a tough question. So many come to mind. Oddly enough, I've never been much of a pet person, though I have had a few over the years. Mostly, I prefer the wild animals. I guess I envy their freedom. If I had to pick a favorite, I think I would choose the birds of prey, especially the hawks. There is something about their power, majesty and freedom that draws me to them.

4. What do you think is the greatest environmental challenge facing us now, and what do you think will be the greatest challenge in the future?

Deforestation. Trees are an incredibly valuable resource. In fact, trees are at least part of the answer to virtually every environmental and economic problem the world faces. If we are to solve our planet's ills, reforestation efforts are vital.

5. If you could give one piece of advice regarding the environment and our natural resources, what would it be?

Plant trees. Lots and lots of trees. Trees to fight climate change. Trees to improve air quality. Trees to control flooding. Trees to stop soil erosion. Trees to maintain freshwater supplies. Trees to restore ecosystems and to increase biodiversity. Trees to feed the world (trees are much more productive per acre than livestock or grain crops).

No comments:

Post a Comment