Thanks to my sister Michelle McIlroy for designing the logo!

Welcome!

Ever since I was a child, I have been very interested in nature and the environment. I have a B.S. degree in wildlife biology, and have worked as a zookeeper, wildlife biologist, and ecologist. I am conducting a brief survey of world leaders, government officials, religious leaders, corporate CEOs, environmental groups, wildlife experts, and others regarding nature and the environment. I am also very interested in religious views, customs, and beliefs from around the world, and the interactions between religion, culture, society, and the environment. This is something I am doing out of personal interest, and is not connected to any group or organization. I have been working on this project since the summer of 2006, and hope to eventually turn it into a book and/or documentary. I am hoping to make this into a global project, with responses from all segments of society. Feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions or comments. If you have not already done so, I hope that you will consider taking part in my project, and please spread the word to anyone you think might be interested! Thanks for stopping by!

TAKE THE SURVEY ONLINE HERE http://tinyurl.com/nx4ng7

August 28, 2006

Lajos Endrédi

Conservationist in Kittenberger Zoo, Hungary

Today's Date: 28.08.2006

1. What interaction with an animal and/or nature in your life has had the biggest impact on you?

I have many “biggest impacts”… The latest was during a research on our lions and chimpanzees. We observed the behavioural effects of intensive environmental enrichment program on whole daily activities. I had arranged, and I had set the materials for it, and I was waiting… It was great to see not only the effects not only on lions and chimpanzees, but on their keepers and spectators too.

2. Did you have a favorite place in the great outdoors during your childhood?

I spent my childhood on the natural banks of the Danube . I explored the new sandbanks in every summer, the animals of the unique area, and naturally the fruits of nature when I was got hungry…

Now? Unfortunately, the Danube has changed… There are no sandbanks (because of the safe sailing), the water is dirty, so swimming is too risky in it. Now I like to be in the Adriatic coast, in Croatia . I like the historical Mediterranean spirit, the sea, and naturally the wildlife of it.

3. As a former zookeeper, I would love to know what your favorite animal is, and why?

As a collection manager, always the latest animal I have arranged. But, there is a permanent favourite: the coati. Why? I think who met them, surely knows.

4. What do you think is the greatest environmental challenge facing us now, and what do you think will be the greatest challenge in the future?

I live in a country, where the environmentalism is a very low ranked question. Maintaining of (decreasing) living standard consumes the energy of people, where is no tradition of environmentalism. There aren’t wish to think about the long term future. I think this problem is typical for the all relatively poor, but well industrialized countries, as the Eastern European countries.

5. If you could give everyone one piece of advice regarding the environment and our natural resources, what would it be?

The life can survive the human, but we can’t survive ourselves… One thing we should do: prolonging the deadline.

No comments:

Post a Comment