Thanks to my sister Michelle McIlroy for designing the logo!

Welcome!

Ever since I was a child, I have been very interested in nature and the environment. I have a B.S. degree in wildlife biology, and have worked as a zookeeper, wildlife biologist, and ecologist. I am conducting a brief survey of world leaders, government officials, religious leaders, corporate CEOs, environmental groups, wildlife experts, and others regarding nature and the environment. I am also very interested in religious views, customs, and beliefs from around the world, and the interactions between religion, culture, society, and the environment. This is something I am doing out of personal interest, and is not connected to any group or organization. I have been working on this project since the summer of 2006, and hope to eventually turn it into a book and/or documentary. I am hoping to make this into a global project, with responses from all segments of society. Feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions or comments. If you have not already done so, I hope that you will consider taking part in my project, and please spread the word to anyone you think might be interested! Thanks for stopping by!

TAKE THE SURVEY ONLINE HERE http://tinyurl.com/nx4ng7

July 14, 2006

Laura Rossacher

Intern, Austrian Press & Information Service of the Embassy of Austria

Today's Date: 14th of July 2006

1. What interaction with an animal and/or nature in your life has had the biggest impact on you?

In 2005 I went rafting on the river "Kolpa", the border river between Slovenia and Croatia. Because of heavy rainfalls it was an extraordinary experience and I have never felt as close to nature as on that day. It felt like I was affiliating with the water and the river.

2. Did you have a favorite place in the great outdoors during your childhood?

As I had a dog when I was little, I loved taking him for walks in the woods close to our flat in my Austrian hometown Graz.

Now?

In general I am a huge fan of nature, especially of the mountains in Austria during summer. Unfortunately I haven't made a hiking trip to the mountains for several years. I have gone skiing to the Alps in Salzburg every winter, which I also like a lot.

3. As a former zookeeper, I would love to know what your favourite animal is, and why?

My favourite animals are butterflies, because of their beauty and diversity. I enjoy watching butterflies and love butterfly section in the Viennese famous zoo Schönbrunn.

4. What do you think is the greatest environmental challenge facing us now, and what do you think will be the greatest challenge in the future?

To my mind the greatest environmental challenge of the present and the future is to find a way of avoiding air pollution, which is the cause of so many more environmental damages. In particular there should be put much more effort in finding alternative fuels for cars.

5. If you could give everyone one piece of advice regarding the environment and our natural resources, what would it be?

Everyone should be more aware of the impact he or she personally has on our environment in every day's life. In fact the small things will make the great difference, for example using public transport systems instead of going by car.

No comments:

Post a Comment